Monday, November 2, 2009

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim!


In May Devon, Ben Curtis, and I hiked the Grand Canyon rim to rim in one day! We started off at a really good pace. At one point we were actually running and Devon and Ben were planning next years rim-to-rim-to-rim adventure. We got to Phantom Ranch around 11:30, ate lunch, took off our shoes to empty out the sand, mixed up some gatorade, then hit the trail again around noon. From the time we got to Phatom ranch till we left the temperature rose about 30 degrees to just around 100. Our confidence dropped a bit when we began passing people on the side of the trail calling for help due to dehydration and heat stroke. We were still making good time until Ben realized that he choice of black hat, black shoes, black shirt, black shoes, and black shorts was not the best. He may as well have brought milk to drink. All of a sudden his face turned bright red and he said "I am sooo hot, I think we better stop for a minute". Well after hiking 18 miles if you sit down there is a good chance you may never get up. When I tried to get up after our break my hips felt like they did when I was pregnant with Gus! Between Ben's blackout attire and my pregancy hips we new it would be a long last leg of the hike, but we were up to the challenge. The last 4 miles is a really steep traverse back and forth to the top of the canyon. Devon had done the hike back in the day and warned us about the last part, but I really was not prepared for how hard it truly was. One step at a time, we made it to the top and were completely wasted. It was definately a feat, but not something I am ready to repeat anytime soon! Devon, however, is still sticking to his rim-to-rim-to-rim craziness!


Posted by Picasa

No comments: