Wednesday, November 4, 2009

And the Flake Award Goes to...

ME!!  Recently I was called out for being a flaky friend, and after looking back on the past 29 years I now know that I have spent most of my life making, breaking, and avoiding plans.  I don't know if there is a true diagnosis for what I have but it is definately a case of Commitment Phobia.  I have always been afraid of making plans because once you commit you're stuck.  (At least that was my mentality)  When a friend says "let's do something on Thursday" and I say "Ok" what I am really thinking is "ummmm......ok........but.........well.......what if Thursday comes and I don't want to go."  So I sort of make plans, never mark it on my calendar, and hope that they forget until Thursday morning when I can decide if that works for me or not.  Don't get me wrong I have really fun friends who I love hanging out with, I think I just got so used to making plans with every intention of breaking them just because that is what I do.  I have always had a fear of hurting feelings by saying "no" but by not ever truly committing I have inadvertently hurt people I love more than I ever knew.  Thank you dear friend for bringing this phobia to my attention so I can deal with it and change my ways.  From here on out I am completely committed to... committing.  Love you all!    

1 comment:

Dana said...

finally!!!
you have: a) admitted to your flaky nature, and b) rejoined the blog world. Congrats, now call me so we can hang out!

loves!